Virtual Catholic Library

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The great quotations of the great saints:

Theology is faith seeking understanding (St. Anselm of Canterbury}
I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand. For this I believe – that unless I believe, I should not Understand. {Augustine of Hippo}
The Lord has turned all sunsets into sunrise—{St. Clement of Alexandria}
Do not be troubled by Bernard’s saying that: “Hell is full of good wishes or desires.” {St. Francis de Sales}
About Jesus Christ and the Church, I simply know they are just one thing, and we should not complicate the matter. {St. Joan of Arc}
The only- begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in His divinity, assumed our nature, so that He, made man, might make men gods.-{St. Thomas Aquinas}
If I am not {in God’s grace}, may it please God to put me in it, if I am, may it please God to keep me there.{St. John of Arc}
At the end of life, we shall be judged by love- {San Juan de la Cruz}
The proof of love is in the works. {Pope St. Gregory the Great}
Must you continue to be your own cross? No matter which way God leads you. You change everything into bitterness by constantly brooding over everything. For the love of God, replace all this self- scrutiny with a pure and simple glance at God’s goodness. {St Jeanne de Chantal}
Holy Communion is the shortest and safest way to heaven. {Pope St. Pius X}
Hell is full of the talented, but heaven of the energetic. {St. Jeanne de Chantal}
He who is the beginning and the end, the ruler of the angels, made Himself obedience to human creatures. The creator of the heavens obey a carpenter, the God of eternal glory listens to a poor virgin. Has anyone ever witnessed anything comparable to this? Let the philosopher no longer distain from listening to the common laborer, the wise, to the simple, the educated, to the illiterate, a child of a prince, to a peasant. {Anthony of Padua}
From silly devotions and sour- faced saints, good Lord, deliver us! {St. Teresa of Avila}
If people would do for God what they do for the world, what a great number of Christians would go to heaven. {St. John Vianney}
If you are willing to bear serenely the trial of being displeasing to yourself, then you will be for Jesus a pleasant place of shelter. {St. Therese of the child Jesus}
In the heart of the Church, my Mother, I shall be love! {St. Therese of the Child Jesus, The story of a soul}
I told our Lord that I knew it was His cross that was now being placed upon the Jewish people; that most of them did not understand this, but that those who sis would have to take it up willingly in the name of all. I would do that. At the end of the service, I was certain that I had been heard. But what this carrying of the cross was to consist in, that I did not yet know. {St. Teresa Benedicta of the cross}
Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you! {St. Augustine of Hippo, confessions, Book 10, chapter 27}
I am a Catholic. As long as possible I go to the mass every day. This is a rosary. As far as possible, I kneel down and tell these beads every day. If you reject me on account of my religion. I shall thank God that spared me the indignity of being your representative! {Hilaire Belloc}
When you look at the Crucifix, you understand how much Jesus loved you then. When you look at the Sacred Host you understand how much Jesus loves you now. {Blessed Teresa of Calcutta}
The Church is alive and we are seeing it. We are experiencing the joy that the Risen Lord promised His followers. The Church is alive. She is alive because Christ is alive, because he is truly risen. In the suffering that we saw on the Holly Father’s face in those days of able, in a profound sense, to touch the Risen one. We have been able to experience the joy that He promised, after a brief period of darkness, as the fruit of His Resurrection. {Pope Benedict XVI}
Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and Halleluijah is our song. {Pope John Paul II}
Why should you worry whether God wants you to reach the heavenly home by way of the desert or by the fields, when by the one as well as by another one arrives all the same at a Blessed Eternity? {St. Pio of Pietrelcina}
The Christian should be an Alleluia from head to foot. {St. Augustine of Hippo}

The Ignorance of Scripture is the Ignorance of Jesus Christ (St, Jerome}







No comments:

Post a Comment